Printing for Summits Tabards

Summits was gifted a lovely set of linoleum blocks making up the Principality Arms, made by Tariq al- Ghassani, when HAH Niall attended Estrella. I used them to print up blue linen for tabards for TAH Antoine and Kathren, to be sewn by Baroness Ayla. Block one, the mountain and grail. Adding the griffin Final…

Tree Block for Finn

I carved this block for Kateline to use making trim for a tunic for Finn. It’s 4″ in diameter and incorporates a charge from his arms inside a roundel border. Tree and future border space. The border design is loosely based on Sogdian samite textiles and their later imitations. Sources: The Metropolitan Museum of Art,…

Medieval Russian finds of printed fabric.

There is scattered evidence of block printing on fabric in 10th-12th c Russia. These are the four fragments I’m aware of: 2 from Chernigov, 1 from Kiev, and another from near Lake Ladoga. The two Chernigov fragments are dated to the 11-12th century, and have been reconstructed as large round designs. The originals were printed…

Griffin printing for TAH Seamus and Turk

Two Princes needed step up clothes that said ‘Summits’. So, Ayla requested a griffin print for them. I used the existing ring and heart from the ponies, as seen on these 6-7th century wool tapestry leggings. I used the griffin from another piece, referring to the arms of the Summits. I had just gotten a…

Block printing for Istvan

I printed linen for a knighting tunic for Istvan, using a design based on an 10-11th c Russian find, also inspired by an illumination of Bulgars battling Byzantines from the early 11th c Menalogion of Basil II.  My block was carved as a linoleum block rather than a wood block for ease and speed of…

Coronation block printing 

Ayla asked me to print fabric suitable for an outdoor coronation, with washability and visual representation of the Crown of An Tir as priorities. I started with linen and an example of a 14th c extant piece from the Met, and also pictured in Forrer.    The eagle was replaced by a lion, representative of…

More printed textile evidence. 

I found a tiny bit of possibly printed fabric from medieval Russia in an article in ATN 58, bringing the total of finds I have seen to 4.  This is blue green and yellow on a tan or other light colored wool tabby, and is described as painted, technique unknown. The various pieces are reconstructed…

Pskov inspired underdress

I made an underdress based on the one found at Pskov grave 3 and dated to the mid tenth to early eleventh century for HAH Alina, and since her measurements are similar, I used one for me as a mockup. The original is blue linen (indigotin dyed) with red-purple roundel patterned silk samite trim. This…

Historic Textile Printing at An Tir Collegium 

  This past weekend Ursel and I presented a talk about historic textile printing at An Tir Collegium. It was a new format for An Tir, with mostly lecture classes, which meant we didn’t do much hands on. But, we have a brand shiny new set of handouts full of additional research and pretty pictures…

Block Printed Pony fabric

Blockprinted in June 2016 with linoleum blocks and fabric paint (jacquard neopaque) on silk. Three blocks and four colors.  Design based on a 6-7thc Greco-Egyptian wool and linen tapestry weave find from Antinöe, described as leggings.  http://www.mtmad.fr/fr/pages/topnavigation/musees_et_collections/mt_les_collections/mt-oeuvres_en_vedette/mt-chefs-oeuvre.aspx The ring is a separate block. Size of 8″ was chosen to work within an existing modular block…

Minoan saffron pattern printing commission. 

Vesta requested printed linen based on patterned fabric from a Minoan fresco. No, I don’t have evidence for Minoan printing, this was done to get the look.    We enlarged the pattern some for printing.    Since this pattern would need to match, I folded the drawing to check alignment.  Roughed out block. Source: Link…

11th c Russian block printing on fabric. 

I block printed wool and silk fabrics based on an extrapolation of the design from a textile scrap found in Chernigov, Russia, dating to the 11th or 12th c. The original was printed in black on a light ground, on tabby wool. I carved the block at approximate actual size of 8 inches across, after…