Minoan trial run

I made Minoan clothes based on the above fresco from Akrotiri and Potnia Vesta’s collegium handout . More of Vesta’s research can be found here. My goal was to use stash on hand whenever possible. I started with an existing yet roomy underdress. First step was to add the band across the shoulders. This was…

Laurel Diadem

A silk diadem based on 12th century finds from Novgorod, in particular a reconstruction of one of several diadems found in the Boris and Gleb cathedral. The diadem from grave 285 was reconstructed by AA Strokov based on the position of multiple types of plaques and other ornament found in the burial. Other graves in…

Griffin printing for TAH Seamus and Turk

Two Princes needed step up clothes that said ‘Summits’. So, Ayla requested a griffin print for them. I used the existing ring and heart from the ponies, as seen on these 6-7th century wool tapestry leggings. I used the griffin from another piece, referring to the arms of the Summits. I had just gotten a…

Block printing for Istvan

I printed linen for a knighting tunic for Istvan, using a design based on an 10-11th c Russian find, also inspired by an illumination of Bulgars battling Byzantines from the early 11th c Menalogion of Basil II.  My block was carved as a linoleum block rather than a wood block for ease and speed of…

Pskov inspired underdress

I made an underdress based on the one found at Pskov grave 3 and dated to the mid tenth to early eleventh century for HAH Alina, and since her measurements are similar, I used one for me as a mockup. The original is blue linen (indigotin dyed) with red-purple roundel patterned silk samite trim. This…