Printing for Summits Tabards

Summits was gifted a lovely set of linoleum blocks making up the Principality Arms, made by Tariq al- Ghassani, when HAH Niall attended Estrella. I used them to print up blue linen for tabards for TAH Antoine and Kathren, to be sewn by Baroness Ayla. Block one, the mountain and grail. Adding the griffin Final…

Laurel Diadem

A silk diadem based on 12th century finds from Novgorod, in particular a reconstruction of one of several diadems found in the Boris and Gleb cathedral. The diadem from grave 285 was reconstructed by AA Strokov based on the position of multiple types of plaques and other ornament found in the burial. Other graves in…

Tree Block for Finn

I carved this block for Kateline to use making trim for a tunic for Finn. It’s 4″ in diameter and incorporates a charge from his arms inside a roundel border. Tree and future border space. The border design is loosely based on Sogdian samite textiles and their later imitations. Sources: The Metropolitan Museum of Art,…

Medieval Russian finds of printed fabric.

There is scattered evidence of block printing on fabric in 10th-12th c Russia. These are the four fragments I’m aware of: 2 from Chernigov, 1 from Kiev, and another from near Lake Ladoga. The two Chernigov fragments are dated to the 11-12th century, and have been reconstructed as large round designs. The originals were printed…

Two more Russian banners

Here are two more pre 1600 banners, and a link to the museum holding the standard of Yermak Timofeevich, from the previous post. Thanks to Kseniia for the links! Again, these banners have images of saints, with inscriptions. One is painted and gilded, while the other is embroidered. The gonfalon “Fatherland” with the Mother of…

An Anglo-Saxon Resource.

Saxon Rabbit is back! My Laurel, Ælfflæd, is gradually getting her website back online, now on WordPress. She has info on brocaded tablet weaving, the Anglo-Saxon lyre, and more. Take a look!! Saxon Rabbit

Block printing for Istvan

I printed linen for a knighting tunic for Istvan, using a design based on an 10-11th c Russian find, also inspired by an illumination of Bulgars battling Byzantines from the early 11th c Menalogion of Basil II.  My block was carved as a linoleum block rather than a wood block for ease and speed of…

Coronation block printing 

Ayla asked me to print fabric suitable for an outdoor coronation, with washability and visual representation of the Crown of An Tir as priorities. I started with linen and an example of a 14th c extant piece from the Met, and also pictured in Forrer.    The eagle was replaced by a lion, representative of…

Two Recent block printing commissions 

These are two blockprinting commissions from this winter.  Both of these are registered by eye, as I was working in the smaller space indoors.  First, a set of trim options on crossdyed silk, using the Russian round block, the heart from the pony print, a rose, and a diamond made of hearts carved by Fjorlief….

Minoan saffron pattern printing commission. 

Vesta requested printed linen based on patterned fabric from a Minoan fresco. No, I don’t have evidence for Minoan printing, this was done to get the look.    We enlarged the pattern some for printing.    Since this pattern would need to match, I folded the drawing to check alignment.  Roughed out block. Source: Link…